An Oklahoma father of three who was overseeing a brush removal project in a construction zone lost his life when a motor vehicle ran him over. The vehicle had crashed into a Department of Corrections work van just moments earlier. Car accidents like this one are often caused by driver negligence.
In this particular situation, the man who was behind the wheel at the time of the incident allegedly told police he had been distracted by noises his cell phone was making as he drove. Police say the man said his phone sounded as though it was disconnecting from the charger, and he was trying to silence the noise. In doing so, he apparently took his eyes off the road. He also reportedly told authorities he had checked his speedometer and mirrors just before the collision occurred.
The 47-year-old man who died was an Oklahoma Department of Transportation supervisor. The 38-year-old man who was driving the car that hit him has been charged with manslaughter. He was arrested and taken to jail but has since been released on $50,000 bail.
The victim had been working for ODOT for nearly 20 years. Six witnesses testified at a preliminary hearing regarding the tragic accident that led to manslaughter charges. A district court arraignment is scheduled for January. When Oklahoma car accidents result in fatalities, immediate family members of victims may pursue justice by filing wrongful death claims in court if evidence shows another party or parties may have caused the death through negligence. In this particular instance, the fallen victim’s family is also likely entitled to workers’ compensation death benefits.
Source: newsok.com, “Delaware County man will stand trial in death of ODOT supervisor“, Sheila Stogsdill, Dec. 26, 2017