Workers' Compensation FAQ

If you have been in an accident on the job, you probably have a lot of questions. Please explore the frequently asked questions below and talk with one of our attorneys to learn more.

At Dawkins & Gowens Law Firm, we have a wealth of knowledge and experience in all types of workers' compensation and third-party liability claims. From our office in Oklahoma City, we serve clients throughout the state.

What should I do if I am injured on the job?

Regardless of how serious the injuries are, the first thing you should do is seek medical attention, tell your employer about your accident and fill out an accident report. These steps often prove critical later on for receiving benefits.

How much can I obtain in workers' compensation benefits?

The answer to this question is different in every case. In Oklahoma, workers' compensation rewards are determined based on the severity and length of injuries. If you have a serious injury that prevents you from working and it will last a long time, for example, you could obtain permanent total disability benefits, which will likely be much more than mild, short-term injuries.

What if my benefits were denied?

If you have been denied benefits, do not give up. You have the right to have your case heard by a judge. Our attorneys can help you appeal your case through the workers' compensation system and through the Oklahoma courts if needed.

Do I need an attorney to help with my workers' compensation claim?

Yes. There are many legal complexities and unforeseen pitfalls when handling your workers' compensation case on your own. Our lawyers can help you avoid these problems and protect your right to receive compensation for the injuries you have suffered.

How do I get help from a lawyer without being over-charged?

In Oklahoma, statutes regulate the amount attorneys can charge in workers' compensation claims. Every lawyer should be charging the same. This amount comes from a percentage of the workers' compensation award you receive. So if your attorney does not obtain benefits for you, you should not have to pay any attorney's fees.

What if my workers' compensation benefits do not cover my medical expenses and lost wages?

There are a number of options available. In addition to appealing the compensation award, we could explore the option of a third-party liability claim. If someone other than your employer or co-workers had some part in causing the accident, we could bring a personal injury claim against that person or business. Some common examples include: Vendors serving your employer, third-party workers and contractors, and manufacturers of tools and equipment used at your workplace.

Ask Us Your Other Questions At A Free Consultation

Call us today to discuss your case at 405-254-8461 (866-439-5849 toll free), or contact us online to schedule a consultation with an experienced lawyer from our firm.