Other Injury Law Firms Say They Will Help. At Our Firm, We Want To Help.

Can pre-existing conditions void car accident claims?

On Behalf of | Oct 15, 2021 | Car Accidents

Getting into an accident can be a dreadful experience in Oklahoma. Things can be worse if you’re denied full compensation because you had an existing condition before the accident. Here’s what you need to know about pre-existing conditions and car accident claims.

What are pre-existing conditions?

Pre-existing conditions are health issues that may have existed before a car accident. Some of the most common ones include asthma, high blood pressure, back problems, and diabetes. Such conditions can easily get aggravated by a car accident that results in further medical complications.

Car accident victims are usually entitled to compensation for the injuries and damage they suffered due to the negligence of another driver. However, car insurance companies may try to reduce or even deny your claim if you had a pre-existing condition before a car accident. Luckily, there’s something you can do to retain your eligibility.

You need to provide evidence

Car accident claims can get denied if there’s no proof that the accident made your pre-existing condition worse or triggered an existing one. That means you need a doctor to help you out. Some of the things that you may need to provide, depending on your medical condition, are X-ray results, MRI results, and other medical records.

How long you wait before seeking medical attention matters

It’s a good idea to have your injuries checked by a doctor immediately after the accident. This will enable the doctor to determine more accurately if the car accident made your pre-existing condition worse. Waiting too long before seeking medical attention affects the doctor’s ability to prove that the car accident worsened it.

The aftermath of one accident can be particularly difficult if your health problem gets worsened by someone else’s negligence. The good news is that with sufficient medical evidence, you may still be able to receive compensation.

FindLaw Network